Baby Countdown

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Friday, September 24, 2010

Alaska, Part 1


Last week I was able to travel to Alaska with my Dad as part of our business. It was a crazy week! We left from Denver and were pretty much flying into the sunset for a good 4 1/2 hrs. It was beautiful! We got in late Monday night to find out that our car rental closed at 6 (even though I called the week before to verify that we wouldn't be flying in until 10). Between having my bag be dead last off the carousel, trying to find another car rental, getting our hotel room situated, it was close to 2 am. Keep in mind that's 4 am of what we're used to and since I've been pregnant, I'm usually in bed by 11 at the latest. Needless to say, I went through all the sleep-deprivation stages of laughing hysterically at everything, sleep walking and being incredibly grouchy. My Dad has the good sense not to point these out to me at the time :). Between holding seminars, meeting with some of our big clients and driving the 6 1/2 hr drive (each way) from Anchorage to Fairbanks and back; it was great to be with my Dad and get to know more about him. I did learn, however, that corn nuts, trail mix, and any other crunchy snack should not be purchased before taking long road trips unless you have an iPod or radio to drown out the sounds of chewing...  Although really, I should have known this so it was my own fault  :)  My Dad was a good sport of making sure I always had something to eat, a bathroom to use and made ALOT of stops along the way so I could get some pictures. He also wasn't TOO bad at teasing me when I got grouchy. Either way, it was amazing and I want to visit Alaska in every season (yes, even winter for the Ididarod! sp?)
Our first view of Alaska from the plane. Some of the white stuff is snow but some of is fog that is trapped between the mountains. It was really cool to see.
The ocean!
We finally found a road that took us to the coast.



Statue in Fairbanks
This was across the street from our hotel in Fairbanks. It had a statue and a clock tower. Very picturesque.
I was amazed at not only the variety of flowers but how many were still in bloom. I was picturing Alaska cold and dark but they had flowers EVERYWHERE!
Mt McKinley aka Denali
This grass was so green and lush, I just wanted to run through it!
I took this as we were driving. Not too bad eh?
Dad's the best!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Beautiful pictures! I want to go to Alaska now--always have, but now I'd seriously consider living there--gorgeous!! By the way I love hearing about your laughing fits...makes me smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome. I'm glad that you were able to go up there with Dad. I loved the picture of that fuchsia flower! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! What a cool trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elissa you are a great photographer! Chris and I think you could be professional.

    ReplyDelete